Chicken, Queso Fresco and Mango Salsa Tostada Bites
These tostada bites are incredibly versatile and there are a number of shortcuts you can integrate into the recipe. First of all, you can use leftover chicken instead of cooking a chicken breast. You can also use store-bought tortilla chips if you don’t want to make your own. You could even buy mango salsa instead of making it yourself, but what’s the fun in that? Regardless of how you get to the final result, this is a great way to use up any leftover salsa.Jump to Recipe (but you'll miss the tips and tricks...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Chicken, Queso Fresco and Mango Salsa Bites
- Prep Time: 30 m
- Cook Time: 50 m
- Total Time: 1 h 20 m
- Servings: 10
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 3 ounces queso fresco crumbled (or you could substitute feta if you can’t find queso fresco)
- 2 ripe mangos
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- ½ red bell pepper
- ¼ small red onion
- 1 to2 limes, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- To Make the Mango Salsa: Finely dice the red onion and let the onion soak in a bowl of cold water while you prepare the other ingredients. Dice the mangos into ½-inch dice, mince the Jalapeño and finely chop the red pepper. Drain the red onion and combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add the lime juice, salt and cilantro leaves and toss well. Let the salsa sit for 5 to 10 minutes and serve with tortilla chips, or use as a sauce for cooked meats or fish.
- To Make the Tostado Bites: Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the chicken breast and let the water return to the boil. Turn the heat off, cover the pot and let the chicken sit in the water for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the saucepan and let it cool. Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise and then shred chicken into thin small strips with two forks or by hand.
- Place the shredded chicken in a bowl. Add the olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, cilantro, salt and pepper and toss everything together.
- To make the tostada chips, preheat an air fryer or the oven to 400ºF. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut the tortillas into circles. Place the round tortillas in a large bowl and toss with vegetable oil and season with salt.
- Air Fry in batches for 5 minutes, shaking basket a couple times during cooking time to lightly crisp the chips. Alternately, toast in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until crisp and lightly brown.
- To assemble the Tostado Bites: Place some chicken on the top of each tortilla chip. Top with some mango salsa and then a little queso fresco. Serve at room temperature.