Spicy Fish Street Tacos with Sriracha Slaw
This sriracha slaw is saucy and packs a lot of flavor, so you should not need any other toppings on these spicy fish street tacos. Serve the tacos wrapped in parchment paper and everyone will think you have a gourmet taco food truck in your back yard! Great for entertaining!Featured In My CookbookAir Fry Everything Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Air Frying 101
An introduction into Air Frying so that you can feel comfortable and confident making the recipes you find on my...View Technique
Air Fryer Cooking Charts
Complete list of air frying cooking times and temperatures are listed in this chart. All times and temperatures assume that...View Technique
Converting Recipes to the Air Fryer
Many recipes that use traditional methods can be converted to delicious air frying creations!View Technique
Spicy Fish Street Tacos with Sriracha Slaw
- Prep Time: 25 m
- Cook Time: 5 m
- Total Time: 30 m
- Servings: 3
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha chili sauce
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 2 scallions chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 12 ounces mahi-mahi or snapper fillets
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 6 6-inch flour tortillas
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Start by making the sriracha slaw. Combine the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, sugar, and sriracha sauce in a large bowl. Mix well and add the green cabbage, carrots, and scallions. Toss until all the vegetables are coated with the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the slaw until you are ready to serve the tacos.
- Combine the flour, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and baking powder in a bowl. Add the egg and milk and mix until the batter is smooth. Place the breadcrumbs in shallow dish.
- Cut the fish fillets into 1-inch wide sticks, approximately 4-inches long. You should have about 12 fish sticks total. Dip the fish sticks into the batter, coating all sides. Let the excess batter drip off the fish and then roll them in the breadcrumbs, patting the crumbs onto all sides of the fish sticks. Set the coated fish on a plate or baking sheet until all the fish has been coated.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400ºF.
- Spray the coated fish sticks with oil on all sides. Spray or brush the inside of the air fryer basket with oil and transfer the fish to the basket. Place as many sticks as you can in one layer, leaving a little room around each stick. Place any remaining sticks on top, perpendicular to the first layer.
- Air-fry the fish for 3 minutes. Turn the fish sticks over and air fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- While the fish is air-frying, warm the tortilla shells either in a 350ºF oven wrapped in foil or in a skillet with a little oil over medium-high heat for a couple minutes. Fold the tortillas in half and keep them warm until the remaining tortillas and fish are ready.
- To assemble the tacos, place two pieces of the fish in each tortilla shell and top with the sriracha slaw. Squeeze the lime wedge over top and dig in.
Comments (7)Post a Reply
In your video on FB, you prepare a dredging station with three bowls…flour/seasonings, eggs, breadcrumbs; however, in the recipe, you prepare a batter with these ingredients and breadcrumbs separate. Which is better, a batter mixture or the three-step dredging technique. Will the results be the same either way? Love you recipes and learning from your videos. Thank you Meredith!
I have two recipes for fish – one is beer battered and one is coated with breadcrumbs. The results are different, but I like both methods.
do you remove skin from Mahi Mahi when making this?
Hi Pam. Yes, I would remove the skin first.
I have made these twice using the mahi -mahi (could only find frozen) and followed the instructions exactly. These are so delicious!! It’s like heaven in your mouth! I will make these often, they’re so good!
These were absolutely delicious and so easy to make! Thank you!
Made this last night .. a hit.