Stuffed Apple Pies
Stuffed Apple Pies are the apple pie for the cook who struggles with pastry! The only pastry in this recipe sits on top of the apple so you are never left with a soggy crust. Being able to hand each of your guests their own personal apple for dessert is sort of fun too.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Stuffed Apple Pies
- Prep Time: 30 m
- Cook Time: 15 m
- Total Time: 45 m
- Servings: 4
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Fuji or Gala apples peeled and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into 4 slices
- 2 ready-made pie dough or your homemade recipe (enough for 2 9-inch crusts)
- 1 egg beaten
- coarse sanding sugar
- Cut off the top of the Granny Smith apples. Use a paring knife to cut around the inside edge of the apple, leaving a ¼-inch border of apple next to the skin. Scoop out the inside of the apple with a spoon and set aside. Discard the core and seeds. Squeeze lemon juice on the inside of the apples.
- Pre-heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and sauté the apple pulp along with the diced apples, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fill the apples shells with the sautéed apple mixture.
- Cut the pie dough into 16 (1¼ -inch x 4½-inch) strips. Lay 2 strips across the top of each apple. Interweave the other 2 strips in the opposite direction over the apple. Brush the dough strips with a little beaten egg and sprinkle the sanding sugar over top.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 350ºF.
- Place the apples in the air fryer basket. Air-fry at 350ºF for 10 to 12 minutes (depending on the size of your apples), until the crust is nicely brown and the apples have softened slightly. Serve with a scoop of ice cream on the side or a dollop of whipped cream on top.