French Apple Slab Pie
- Prep Time: 30 m
- Cook Time: 35 m
- Cooling Time: 30 m
- Total Time: 1 h 5 m
- Servings: 20
- 4 Basic Pie Dough 9-inch circles
- 15 apples peeled and diced (combination of gala, roma, & granny smith)
- 1½ cups raisins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg or preferably freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into cubes
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 425˚F.
- Roll out half of the pastry into a rectangle a little bigger than 11 x 13 inches on a floured surface. Transfer the rolled out pastry to an 11 x 13 inch sheet pan. Allow the edges of the pastry to hang over the sides of the pan.
- Combine the diced apples, raisins, sugars, spices, flour, and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss together. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes while you roll out the rest of the pastry into another rectangle about 11 x 13 inches in size.
- Stir the apples again to coat them evenly in the spice mixture and pour the apples onto the pastry in the sheet pan. Spread them out evenly and dot with the butter cubes. Top the apples with the second rolled out pastry rectangle. Pinch the edges of the pastry together, crimping the edges to seal shut.
- Pierce the pastry with a paring knife, making 6 small diagonal slits across the pastry dough to allow steam to escape during cooking. Brush the surface of the dough with the lightly beaten egg and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350˚F and continue to bake for another 20 minutes. If at any point the edges of the crust are getting too dark, cover the edges with aluminum foil. The pie is finished when nicely browned on top and the apples inside are tender and soft when pierced with a paring knife through one of the vent slits.
- Allow pie to cool for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan add the confectioners’ sugar and milk. Stir until smooth and mixture is warm. Immediately pour icing glaze on top of cake and smooth evenly with a spatula. Let icing set up for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares and serve at room temperature.
French Apple Slab Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories 413 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g15%
Vitamin A 130IU3%
Vitamin C 6.9mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.