Watch The Recipe Video
Spicy Italian Meatloaf
- Prep Time: 20 m
- Cook Time: 1 h 15 m
- Resting Time: 5 m
- Total Time: 1 h 35 m
- Servings: 8
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs torn up day old bread is good
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage casings removed
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- ½ cup roasted red pepper chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes sliced (¼-inch slices)
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 ̊ F.
- Place the breadcrumbs and milk in a large mixing bowl and let the bread soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Pre-heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and cook the onion and garlic until tender but not browned – about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the onions and garlic to the bowl with the breadcrumbs and milk.
- Add the ground meats, roasted red pepper, spices, parsley, eggs and Worcestershire sauce to the bowl and mix everything together with your hands just until everything is combined. Transfer the mix to a meatloaf pan or baking sheet. If you like a meat loaf with soft sides, leave the mix in the loaf pan, ideally one with a perforated bottom and a pan below to catch the drippings. If you prefer a harder crust on the sides of your meat loaf, invert the mix onto a baking sheet. Overlap the tomato slices on the meatloaf and drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil on top.
- Bake in the oven for 60 to 75 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer registers 160 ̊ F in the center of the meat. The tomatoes should roast and brown a little at the edges. Combine the ketchup and brown sugar and brush over the tomatoes after 60 minutes of cooking to glaze the meatloaf. Let the meat loaf cool and then slice and serve.
Spicy Italian Meatloaf
Amount Per Serving
Calories 495 Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g60%
Vitamin A 630IU13%
Vitamin C 14.4mg17%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.