Portobello and Asparagus Empanadas
Portobello and asparagus empanadas are a vegetarian version of a classic empanada which usually involves meat. They are easy to make ahead of time, freeze and then just re-heat when it comes time to serve. You can serve these as an appetizer or double up and serve them as a main meal with a side salad.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Portobello, Asparagus and Queso Fresco Empanadas
- Prep Time: 30 m
- Cook Time: 14 m
- Total Time: 44 m
- Servings: 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ onion finely diced
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms stems and gills removed and caps finely chopped
- 10 stems asparagus finely sliced
- ½ to 1 red chili or Jalapeño pepper minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 package of 6-inch empanada discs thawed
- olive oil
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- ½ clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and sauté the onion until it starts to soften – about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the Portobello mushrooms, asparagus, chili pepper and thyme and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the two cheeses.
- Place the empanada discs on a flat surface and brush the edges with water. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each disc. Fold the dough over the filling to form a half moon. Crimp the edges shut with the tip of a fork or pinch them together with your fingers and brush both sides of the empanadas with olive oil.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 370ºF.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer, place 3 to 5 empanadas into the air fryer basket. Air-fry at 370ºF for 8 minutes. Turn the empanadas over, spray with oil again and air-fry for another 6 minutes.
- While the empanadas are cooking, make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and puréeing. Serve warm with the sauce on the side.