Watch The Recipe Video
- Prep Time: 30 m
- Cook Time: 2 h 30 m
- Total Time: 3 h
- Servings: 8
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds beef chuck cubed (2 -inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 8 small red potatoes halved or cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced on the bias
- 1 cup pearl onions defrosted if frozen
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to 275˚ F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil and working in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan, brown the beef cubes, seasoning with salt and pepper – about 8 minutes per batch. Set the browned meat aside.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook until browned - about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for another minute or two. Then add the red wine and deglaze the pan by scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the Dutch oven with a wooden spoon. Bring the liquid to a boil and let it simmer for a minute or two. Add the dried rosemary, dried thyme, bay leaf, and Worcestershire sauce and stir. Add 2 cups of the stock and return the liquid to a simmer again. While this comes back to a simmer, return the browned beef to the Dutch oven. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer the Dutch oven to the oven for one hour.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the potatoes and carrots. Return to the oven for another hour, adding another cup of stock if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and cook the pearl onions until lightly browned.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and add the browned pearl onions. Return to the oven for another 30 minutes. Stir in the peas and heat through for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 577 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Vitamin A 4215IU84%
Vitamin C 32.5mg39%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.