Watch The Recipe Video
Perfect Basmati Rice
- Servings: 4
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse the rice several times, filling a bowl with water, swirling it around and draining before starting again. Soak the rice in a bowl of water, completely covered, for at least 20 minutes (or longer if convenient).
- Drain the rice and transfer the rice to a saucepan. Add the 1-cup of water, the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the water to a full boil. Once at the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the temperature right down to simmer. Let the rice steam for 10 minutes without lifting the lid. You should see small steam holes in the rice when it is done.
- Let the rice rest for 5 minutes. Then, fluff with a fork, add more butter, salt and pepper if desired and serve.