Instant Cornbread with Roasted Peppers
The best part about cooking quick breads or cakes in the pressure cooker is how moist they are. This recipe for pressure cooker instant cornbread is a perfect example of that. If you want crunch on your cornbread crusts, the traditional method is better for you.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Watch The Recipe Video
Instant Cornbread with Roasted Peppers and Pepper Jack Cheese
- Prep Time: 10 m
- Cook Time: 35 m
- Release Time: 10 m
- Total Time: 45 m
- Servings: 6
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted, softened
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅓ cup roasted peppers sliced
- 1½ cups pepper jack cheese grated
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3 scallions sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Grease a 7-inch pan with the butter.
- Combine the cornmeal, the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar (if using) in a bowl. Stir in roasted peppers, corn kernels, pepper jack cheese and scallions and toss to combine.
- Combine the buttermilk, egg and butter in a second bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into prepared pan and loosely cover with aluminum foil, pulling the foil up in the center to create a dome away from the top of the cornbread.
- Place a rack in the bottom of the pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water. Lower the cake pan into the cooker using a sling made of aluminum foil (fold a piece of aluminum foil into a strip about 2-inches wide by 24-inches long). Fold the ends of the aluminum foil into the cooker and lock the lid in place.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 35 minutes.
- Let the pressure drop NATURALLY. Carefully remove the lid and transfer the cornbread from the cooker to the counter using the aluminum sling or rack. Let the cornbread rest for 15 minutes and then remove the foil from the top of the pan.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.