Sun-Dried Tomato Flat Iron Steak with Lemon Hazelnut Couscous
Flat iron steak is also called a top blade steak. It comes from the shoulder region of beef. It’s relatively tender, but not as tender as a filet mignon or rib eye, so it’s best not to cook it beyond medium for ideal tenderness.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Sun-Dried Tomato Flat Iron Steaks with Lemon Hazelnut Couscous
- Prep Time: 15 m
- Cook Time: 14 m
- Marinating Time: 2 h
- Total Time: 2 h 29 m
- Servings: 3
- 1 1-pound flat iron steak (top blade)
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic sliced
Lemon Hazelnut Couscous:
- 1 cup dried couscous
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cut the flat iron into portion sizes that will fit into your air fryer basket. Make the marinade by combining the sun-dried tomatoes and oregano leaves in a food processor and process into a paste. Add the red wine and olive oil and process, wiping down the sides of the processor as needed. Transfer the marinade to a zipper sealable plastic bag and add the freshly ground black pepper and sliced garlic. Tenderize the steak with a needle-style tenderizer or pierce it several times with a paring knife. Add the steak to the bag with the marinade and let the steaks marinate for 2 hours to overnight. Bring the steaks to room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking it.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400ºF.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer the steaks to the air fryer basket.
- Air-fry the steaks at 400ºF for 8 (medium-rare) to 14 minutes (well-done), turning the steaks over halfway through the cooking process. Remember the cooking time will depend on how thick your particular steak is. An instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the steak should read 150ºF for medium. Remove the steaks from the air fryer and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- While the steaks are air-frying, make the lemon hazelnut couscous. Put the couscous, lemon zest and salt in a heat-resistant bowl. Pour the boiling water over the top, stir once and immediately cover the bowl with a lid or a piece of plastic wrap. Let this sit for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork while incorporating the butter, chopped hazelnuts, lemon juice and fresh parsley.
- Serve the steak in a whole piece or sliced on the bias with the lemon hazelnut couscous and a green vegetable.