The key to this delicious hearty sandwich is to get the right pita bread. Thick, fresh pita breads with no pocket makes for a more tender and delicious bite.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
- Prep Time: 25 m
- Cook Time: 10 m
- Total Time: 35 m
- Servings: 4
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 English cucumber diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 2 cups green leaf lettuce
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 4 pocketless pita breads
- 1 cup grated cucumber about 1 medium cucumber, seeds removed
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, salt and black pepper. Add the chicken to the mixture and let it marinate for 30 minutes to 3 hours (refrigerated).
- To make the Tzatziki Sauce: Place the grated cucumber on a paper towel and twist to squeeze the out the liquid. Combine the cucumber, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, chopped dill and parsley in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and chill until you are ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat an oven-safe sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken to brown it on both sides and then transfer the pan to the oven for 8 to 10 minutes to cook through. (Alternately, you could air-fry the chicken at 380°F for 12 minutes, flipping it over halfway through the cooking process.) Let the chicken rest on cutting board for a few minutes and then slice it lengthwise into strips.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan. Place each pocketless pita bread in the pan and heat for 2 minutes on each side to warm and crisp the bread.
- Place the pita on piece of parchment paper slightly wider than the bread. Spread some Tzatziki sauce on the pita bread and top with some green leaf lettuce. Place chicken breast strips over the lettuce and sprinkle diced cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion on top. Dollop some more tzatziki sauce and fold the pita bread up wrapping the parchment paper around the gyro to keep it shut. If desired, wrap some foil around the parchment paper to keep the gyro warm and serve it up food truck style with some air-fried French Fries!