Pressure Steamed Artichokes with Lemon Aïoli
Artichokes may seem like mysterious vegetables, but once you've prepared one you'll be ready to do it again... and again. Pressure steaming them makes the task very quick indeed.Featured In My CookbookComfortable Under Pressure Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Steamed Artichokes with Lemon Aïoli
- Prep Time: 20 m
- Cook Time: 12 m
- Total Time: 32 m
- Servings: 6
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 lemon cut in half
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced and mashed into a paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the artichokes by cutting off the top inch of the prickly leaves. Cut off the stem to create a flat base.
- Place a rack in the pressure cooker and rest the artichokes on top of the rack. Squeeze the lemon juice all over the artichokes and drop the squeezed halves into the cooker around the artichokes along with the fresh thyme sprigs. Add 2 cups of water to the cooker and lock the lid in place.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 12 minutes.
- While the artichokes are steaming, make the aioli by mixing together the mayonnaise, mashed garlic, lemon zest and juice, chives, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Reduce the pressure using the QUICK-RELEASE method and carefully remove the lid.
- Before you transfer the artichokes to a serving dish, invert them over the pressure cooker to allow any hot water to escape from between the leaves. Serve with the aioli.