Penne Pasta with Sausage, Peppers and Onions
This recipe for penne pasta with sausage, peppers and onions includes how to make your own pasta with an electric pasta machine, but of course you can substitute dried penne instead if you prefer.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Penne Pasta with Sausage, Peppers & Onions
- Prep Time: 30 m
- Cook Time: 30 m
- Total Time: 1 h
- Servings: 4
Pasta (per batch)
- 1/3 cup semolina flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Sausage Pepper and Onion Sauce
- 1 pound sausage links or coil
- ½ onion large dice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups tri-colored bell peppers large dice
- 14 ounce canned petite diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Place the semolina, all-purpose flour, and salt into the kneading chamber of the pasta machine. Turn the power on and press the “Knead” button. Allow the flour to mix for five seconds and then pour in the water and olive oil. Let the dough knead and come together in the chamber.
- When the dough has finished kneading, remove the dough from the pasta machine and cover it with plastic wrap. Make a second batch of pasta.
- When you are ready to make the pasta, attach the penne/macaroni noodle mold onto the extrusion rod. Place the dough in the extrusion box and push it down with the spanner. Press the “Extrusion” button. As the pasta is extruded, sprinkle it with a little flour and toss to coat to prevent it from sticking together. Cut the long noodles into 2-inch pieces diagonally to form penne. If desired, press the cut noodles with the tines of a fork to create the indentations seen in penne rigate. (These indentations hold onto sauce more effectively.)
- To make the sauce, brown the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and set aside. Heat the olive oil in the pan and sauté the onion for 3 minutes or so. Add the garlic and peppers and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Cut the rested sausage into 1-inch slices and return them to pan with the sauce. Simmer together for 20 minutes and then season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- To cook the pasta, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer pasta in a slow boil for 2 to 3 minutes. (A full boil will break the pasta apart.) Drain the pasta and toss with the sausage and pepper sauce. Serve with the chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.