Peach Ice Cream with Waffles
I'm a huge fan of waffles and I LOVE ice cream, so... what could be better than combining the two? These waffles have a significant amount of cornstarch in them, which is what keeps them crispy for longer. The peach ice cream is simple and delicious and serving it on a waffle lets it melt into all of those deep waffle pockets so it can't escape from you!Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos...)
Peach Ice Cream with Waffles
- Prep Time: 20 m
- Cook Time: 30 m
- Chilling Time: 2 h
- Total Time: 50 m
- Servings: 4
Peach Ice Cream
- 2½ cups diced peaches, about 5 to 7 peaches
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Maple syrup for serving
- Sliced peaches for serving
- Fresh mint leaves garnish
To make the peach ice cream:
Place the diced peaches in a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Add the milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to the food processor or blender, and blend until all the ingredients are well combined. Chill the mixture for 2 hours if you have the time (the ice cream will set up a little faster if the mixture is chilled). Otherwise, proceed with the recipe right away.
- Pour the peach mixture into an ice cream maker and set according to the manufacturer’s directions. Do not exceed the maximum fill line on your ice cream maker. If need be, save any remaining mix for a second batch of ice cream.
- When ice cream has finished churning, enjoy right away or chill the ice cream in the freezer for a few hours or longer to get to a hard scoop stage.
To make the waffles:
Pre-heat your waffle maker.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Combine the egg yolks, buttermilk, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract (if using) in second bowl or measuring cup.
- In a third bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage. Add the sugar and beat until the whites are shiny.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined, but still a little lumpy. Fold in the egg whites until no streaks of white remain.
- Grease your waffle iron if necessary and pour in enough batter to just cover the bottom of the waffle plate. Close the waffle maker and cook until the waffle is browned and crispy. Flip the waffle over in the waffle maker and cook for a minute longer.
- Remove the waffle from the iron and keep warm in a 200ºF oven, directly on the oven rack, until you’re ready to serve all the waffles. Do not put them on a plate, a baking sheet or stack them on each other. Serve warm.
- To Serve: Top the warm waffles with scoops of ice cream. Drizzle the maple syrup over the top and garnish with sliced fresh peach and mint leaves. Feeling wild and crazy? Stir some more chopped peaches into the ice cream for added texture and flavor, or... try making a waffle ice cream sandwich!