Lasagna Roll Ups
Lasagna Roll Ups have all the same great satisfying flavor of lasagna, but it's much easier to serve than the traditional baked pasta dish. Rolling the lasagna noodle around a meat sauce and a cheese mixture gives every guest layers of cheesy, meaty pasta.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Watch The Recipe Video
Lasagna Roll Ups
- Prep Time: 30 m
- Cook Time: 1 h 15 m
- Total Time: 1 h 45 m
- Servings: 10
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 28 ounce canned crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounce canned petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs beaten
- 5 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Pre-heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up any large pieces with a wooden spoon. Drain off and discard the grease. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Stir in the Italian seasoning and oregano and sauté for a few minutes. Pour in the red wine, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes, and simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes.
- While the meat sauce is cooking prepare the lasagna noodles. Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil and boil the noodles for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the cooked noodles carefully with cold water. Place the noodles on clean damp kitchen towels to cool.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, 3 cups of the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and chopped parsley in a bowl.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Build the lasagna roll-ups. Cover the bottom of a 16-inch x 9-inch casserole dish with some of the meat sauce.
- Place four of the lasagna noodles on a cutting board. Spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle. Spoon a little meat sauce over the cheese and top with some of the remaining mozzarella cheese. Roll up each lasagna noodle, lifting the noodles slightly to keep the filling inside, and place it seam side down in the baking pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles, making four rows of three lasagna roll ups.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the rolled up noodles and dollop any remaining cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle with a little extra Parmesan cheese and transfer the casserole to the oven.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes, or until the lasagna is bubbling and the cheese on top has nicely browned. Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before serving the rolls.