Watch The Recipe Video
- Prep Time: 20 m
- Cook Time: 2 h 30 m
- Total Time: 2 h 50 m
- Servings: 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 ribs of celery finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup white wine or red wine if you prefer
- 28 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- water as needed
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Pre-heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and butter and sauté the onion, carrots and celery for 8 minutes, or until the vegetables soften. Stir in the fresh thyme and cook for another minute or so. Add the beef and pork to the Dutch oven and cook, seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper and breaking the chunks of meat up with a wooden spoon, until there is no pink left in the meat.
- Pour in the milk and stir, scraping the bottom of the Dutch oven to incorporate any bits of flavor. Increase the heat a little and simmer until the milk has almost entirely disappeared – about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the wine and continue to simmer until it too has almost disappeared – another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer (with a lid askew) for at least 2 hours, or preferably longer. If the sauce becomes too dry, stir in a little water (½ cup at a time), but make sure the water has evaporated or been absorbed before serving.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over pasta with more Parmesan cheese at the table.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 425 Calories from Fat 261
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 11g55%
Vitamin A 3710IU74%
Vitamin C 16.2mg20%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.