Chocolate Mousse is a delicious dessert and it only takes four ingredients. Consequently, make sure you use really good quality ingredients - especially the chocolate. I like to use at least 70% chocolate for this chocolate mousse.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos...)
Watch The Recipe Video
- Prep Time: 10 m
- Cook Time: 25 m
- Total Time: 35 m
- Servings: 4
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate at least 70% cocoa, but not more than 85%
- 1½ cups heavy cream cold
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional
- Melt the chocolate with ¼ cup of the cream in a double boiler over simmering water. Once fully melted, set the chocolate and cream aside.
- With a very clean bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peak stage. It is very important that there be no egg yolk or any other fat in the bowl in order for the whites to whip up. If you like things on the sweeter side, add the sugar to the egg whites at the end of whipping.
- Using a second cold bowl, with cold beaters, beat the remaining cream to soft peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture in a couple of batches, reserving just a little of the whipped cream to garnish the mousse at the end. Then fold the egg whites into the cream and chocolate until there are no more streaks left.
- Enjoy right away or chill in the fridge for an hour and enjoy later.