Waffles are something that I love to have for breakfast on special occasions or holidays - Christmas, New Year's Day, my birthday... If a day starts with waffles, it's bound to be a good day.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Baking Soda vs Baking Powder
Both baking soda and baking powder are chemical leaveners used in baking, but how do they differ? How do you...View Technique
Watch The Recipe Video
- Prep Time: 10 m
- Cook Time: 25 m
- Total Time: 35 m
- Servings: 60
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Pre-heat your waffle maker.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Combine the egg yolks, buttermilk, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract (if using) in another bowl or measuring cup.
- In a third bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage. Add the sugar and beat until the whites are shiny.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined, but still a little lumpy. Fold in the egg whites until no streaks of white remain.
- Grease your waffle iron if necessary and pour in enough batter to just cover the bottom of the waffle plate. Close the waffle maker and cook until the waffle is browned and crispy. Flip the waffle over in the waffle maker and cook for a minute longer.
- Remove the waffle from the iron and keep warm in a 200ºF oven, directly on the oven rack, until you’re ready to serve all the waffles. Do not put them on a plate, a baking sheet or stack them on each other.
- Serve with maple syrup, berries, butter, or any other of your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 308 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Vitamin A 155IU3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Comments (2)Post a Reply
Perfect…..there are no other words. Something as simple as a waffle takes on an entire new when the recipe is good. It’s crispy yet tender. There is no other…..We are in love.
I made these and they turned out great. I did have to substitute almond milk for regular dairy. Next time I hope to try it with milk.