Turkey Tex Mex Salad
If you have some leftover turkey breast, here's a recipe for a delicious and fun turkey tex mex salad to help use it up. Making your own tortilla bowl in your air fryer is fun too.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Turkey Tex Mex Salad
- Prep Time: 20 m
- Cook Time: 15 m
- Total Time: 35 m
- Servings: 2
- olive oil
- ¼ onion diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup shredded cooked turkey breast
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 flour tortillas
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ¼ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup sliced red onion, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Make the avocado dressing by using a food processor. Process the avocado, lime juice and cilantro until smooth. With processor running, pour in the olive oil. Add water gradually to the desired consistency. Season with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until it starts to soften. Add the chili powder and cumin and sauté for another minute and then add the water. Stir in the turkey breast and season with salt to taste. Remove from heat.
- Fill the tortilla bowl with mixed greens or place greens on plate. Scatter the turkey mixture over lettuce. Top with black beans, corn, Cheddar cheese, green pepper, red onion, tomatoes and black olives. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle the avocado dressing over the salad and sprinkle chopped fresh cilantro on top. Serve with tortilla chips if you’re not using a tortilla shell bowl.
- **Air Fried Tortilla Shell Bowl:
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Brush both sides of a 10-inch tortilla with a little olive oil. Place the tortilla over an inverted oven-safe bowl, smaller in size than the tortilla. Wrap aluminum foil over the tortilla to press it down to form a bowl.
- Air-fry for 4 minutes. Remove the foil and air-fry for 2 more minutes until browned. Carefully remove the tortilla and bowl from the air fryer basket. Flip the tortilla over and air-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes until crispy and golden brown.