Pressure Cooker Penne Carbonara
Pasta Carbonara is like having breakfast for dinner, but better! Eggs, bacon and cheese tossed together quickly while the pasta is piping hot makes for a great dinner any night of the week.Featured In My CookbookDelicious Under Pressure Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos and riveting information...)
Featured Recipe Techniques
More about the skills used in this recipe.
Converting Recipes to the Pressure Cooker
Just follow a few simple rules and you'll be able to convert your traditional recipes to the pressure cooker -...View Technique
General Tips for Pressure Cooking
It is important to understand your Pressure Cooker to use it properly. Use the items below as guidance to continue...View Technique
- Prep Time: 10 m
- Cook Time: 6 m
- Total Time: 16 m
- Servings: 4
- 8 ounces bacon or pancetta about 6 strips
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1 pound dried penne pasta
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1¼ cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese about 1 ounce
- 1¼ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese about 1 ounce
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the pressure cooker using the BROWN setting.
- Add the bacon and garlic clove and cook until the fat has been rendered out and the bacon is crispy – about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside. Drain off the fat from the cooker and discard.
- Add the pasta to the cooker, along with 4 cups of water and lock the lid in place.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 6 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, beat the eggs with the cheeses in a bowl.
- Release the pressure using the QUICK-RELEASE method and carefully remove the lid. Reserve half a cup of the pasta water. Drain the pasta and immediately return the pasta to the hot cooker. Stirring constantly, pour the egg and cheese mixture into the pasta and return the bacon to the cooker. Stir well and add the parsley and the freshly ground black pepper. Use the residual pasta water to thin the pasta if needed. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 952 Calories from Fat 396
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 19g95%
Vitamin A 1205IU24%
Vitamin C 10.2mg12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.