Bread pudding is the comfort foods of desserts. It uses up leftover bread and it's really easy to make. You can add other ingredients to the mix to vary it or take it to the next level. This is your basic bread pudding recipe - a blank slate for you to work with.Jump to Recipe (or scroll for photos...)
Watch The Recipe Video
Basic Bread Pudding
- Prep Time: 15 m
- Cook Time: 1 h
- Total Time: 1 h 15 m
- Servings: 8
- 3 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated or brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 12 cups cubed challah or brioche or other egg-based bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1-pound loaf)
- ½ cup any flavoring ingredient chocolate, dried berries, apples, etc…
- Grease a 7-inch by 11-inch baking pan (ceramic or metal) with butter.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Beat well. Add the milk and whisk.
- Toss the bread cubes and flavoring ingredient together and place into the greased baking pan. Pour the egg custard over the top. Press down on the bread cubes to help the bread absorb the custard and let the pudding sit until most of the liquid has been absorbed. In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Transfer the bread pudding to the oven and bake in the 350ºF oven for one hour, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the pudding comes out clean, the top is nicely browned and springs back when you touch it.
- Let the pudding cool to an edible temperature. Then serve with some maple syrup, whipped cream or a sauce.