Watch The Recipe Video
Basic Fluffy Mashed Potato
- Servings: 4
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes
- 1 stick of unsalted butter 8 tablespoons
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into equal sized chunks. Rinse with cold water and drop into the boiling water.
- While the potatoes are boiling, combine the butter and milk or heavy cream in a small saucepan and warm just until the butter melts.
- Cook until the potatoes are cooked through – a paring knife easily pierces all the way through the chunk. Strain the potatoes and rinse briefly with water. Strain again.
- Transfer the potatoes to a food mill or ricer and press the potatoes through into a bowl. Add the warm butter and milk or cream and stir into the potatoes. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper and keep warm until serving.